Jonathan Fryer

Writer, Lecturer, Broadcaster and Liberal Democrat Politician

Electrical Safety First

Posted by jonathanfryer on Monday, 7th April, 2014

Electrical Safety FirstOne of the joys of be a European politician — at least, from my point of view — is that almost daily one is confronted with an issue that deserves careful study and sometimes a practical or even legislative response. So I was particularly pleased this evening to take part in a dinner briefing and discussion session with Electrical Safety First (formerly the Electrical Safety Council), examining matters ranging from fatal household fires caused by faulty electrical wiring or equipment to product recall. Fellow LibDem politicians there were Mike Hancock MP (Eastleigh), Lords Dykes and Tope and Baroness Tonge (whose own daughter was the victim of an awful fatal electrical accident), and Councillors Richard Kemp (Liverpool), Michael Bukola (Southwark), Chris Naylor (Camden) and Simon James (Kingston). Simon is also one of my fellow Euro-candidates (as well as on the Council of Europe’s equivalent of the committee of the regions), and so too is Turhan Ozen (also LibDem PPC for Totenham) who was present. In my short remarks I stressed that although I am a keen European, and have been following European affairs ever since Reuters sent me to Brussels in 1974, nonetheless I don’t believe there has to be a European law for everything. However, clearly in the field of consumer protection the EU does have a role to play in setting standards and guidelines (as, for example, with food quality), even if most of the relevant laws should be national or even regional or local. In the UK there is a general trend towards less EU regulation, but I have always argued that the EU should do less, better. In the field of consumer protection relating to electrical goods and appliances that obviously should include compulsory safety levels, and maybe qualifications/training for electricians, though it does not necessarily have to go into the minutiae of plugs, sockets, fuses, etc. But as others round the table rightly stressed, a lot needs to be done at a local level, not only protecting council tenants but also private rental properties. It’s obligatory for gas safety, so why not for electricity, which can be just as fatal. So for me this was an extremely productive evening. I learned a lot, but also I realsied that if I do get elected on 22 May there are some very practical things I can be pushing for to help consumers in London.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: